COLUMBIA BASIN CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Take a walk down memory lane
with our full history and legacy captured by our recently
The Columbia Basin has a long history of conservation, beginning in July of 1945 when the Moses Lake Conservation District was established. In the next 10 years, the Moses Lake Conservation District was joined by eight other districts: Ephrata, Quincy, Othello, Warden, East Wenatchee, Moses Coulee, Wilson Creek, and Hartline Soil Conservation Districts.
These nine districts worked independently of each other but in the spirit of cooperation, would often undertake projects together for the benefit of the people they serve. On December 3rd of 2004, all lands outside of conservation district service areas joined Hartline, Wilson Creek, Ephrata, Quincy, and Othello conservation districts. These areas consolidated and became the Grant Conservation District.
For almost 10 years, the Grant Conservation would work closely with the Warden Conservation District and the Moses Lake Conservation District before they too consolidated into what became the Grant County Conservation District in 2013.
In 2022, we updated our name from Grant County Conservation District to Columbia Basin Conservation District to better reflect our service area, including all of Grant County and the irrigated portions of Adams County.
We are now the Columbia Basin Conservation District, but our dedication to providing technical, financial and educational resources to help develop community-based solutions to conservation issues has not changed.
How We Help
As a non-regulatory entity, the Columbia Basin Conservation District employs numerous avenues to effectively and efficiently get the voluntary implementation of conservation practices on-the-ground.
We provide natural resource technical and financial assistance, education and outreach, and coordination and facilitation services. From the public to private sector, on large to small scales, we are here to help.